When I was a teenager I worked at a regional grocery store chain for several years. They had this loaded baked potato salad in their prepared foods case that I was addicted to while I worked there. Like most potato salads it was mayo based, but clearly had hints of sour cream in it as well. It was also filled with bacon, shredded cheese, and chives. I’m not a huge fan of potato salad, but this was the bomb.
I’ve had a few cravings for that potato salad over the last few years, but alas it contains a boat load of animal products, so I haven’t had it since around the time I stopped working there. Nick and I have been grilling a lot, and both had a craving for potato salad as a side, so we decided to recreate this using vegan ingredients.
We’ve been posting healthy recipes on and off, but this one’s all about the comfort. If you’re looking to skip a green side salad at your next meal and replace it with a more indulgent variety of “salad” this mayonnaise based monstrosity has got your back.
Vegan Loaded Baked Potato Salad
You can peel the potato skin after boiling them if you prefer, but we recommend leaving it on for the added texture.
- 1 lb yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese shreds
- 6 slices of light life bacon
- 1 tbsp green onion
- 1 tbsp chives
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Scrub potatoes well, and rinse them off.
- Fill an 8 qt or larger stock pot a little less than 3/4 of the way with water. Set burner to high and cover the stock pot to bring water to a boil.
- Chop potatoes into large chunks. Each chunk should be about 1/4 to 1/6 of the potato depending on the size of the potato. Think about two bites for each chunk. Try to keep the sizes consistent so they cook evenly.
- Once the water has come to a boil uncover the pot and add the potatoes. Boil for 20 minutes or until fork tender. Remove from heat and drain with a colander.
- While the potatoes are boiling add one tbsp of coconut oil, or other vegetable oil to a pan and lay down your strips of bacon.
- Cook bacon until it is crisp on both sides, turning halfway through. Remove from heat, and lay the bacon out on a towel to absorb some of the excess grease.
- Break bacon down into small pieces, and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together vegan mayo and vegan sour cream.
- Place boiled potatoes into a large mixing bowl, and spread mayo-sour cream mixture over them. Mix together until all of the potatoes are evenly coated.
- Sprinkle vegan bacon, vegan cheese shreds, chives, green onion, salt, and pepper over top of the potato mixture and stir until everything is well integrated.
- Cover and refrigerate for one hour to chill.
- Serve chilled.