High protein and eggy vegan tofu scramble! This hearty vegan breakfast (or lunch or dinner) is very satisfying, filling, and super easy to put together. It will also really satisfy any cravings for scrambled eggs that you might have, without any actual eggs involved. It’s also just as versatile as a non-vegan scrambled egg dish, since once you get the flavor down, you can mix in pretty much any veggies that you desire, as well as vegan cheese shreds if you like. Just like scrambled eggs, this scramble goes great alongside some fresh toasted bread or a bagel.
This scramble makes use of black salt (also called Kala Namak) which imparts an incredibly eggy flavor and is predominantly used in South Asian foods, so if you can’t find black salt at your local supermarket, you may need to try looking at an Asian grocery, or ordering some online. It is worth noting now, that a little bit of black salt goes a long way. I think that 1/4 tsp is plenty to use in this recipe and recommend using no more than that at least the first time that you make this, though you may want to experiment with using a little more as you make more scrambles.
Eggy Tofu Scramble
- 14 oz. Firm/Extra Firm Tofu
- 1/4 Yellow Onion, Diced
- 1 Bell Pepper, Diced
- Tbsp. Vegan Butter
- Sliced Green Onions (For Garnishing)
Seasoning Blend Ingredients
- Dice onion and bell pepper into half inch dice. Drain tofu, but do not press. Place tofu in a bowl and mash with a fork, leave some larger chunks. Should have similar texture to scrambled eggs.
- Add nutritional yeast, turmeric, paprika, dijon mustard, garlic powder, black salt and onion powder to a bowl. Then add non-dairy milk(we used oat milk, though you can use whatever you prefer) and whisk until smooth.
- Preheat frying pan over medium flame, once warm add vegan butter and coat pan, then add pepper and onion sauté until onion starts to turn translucent, 2-3 minutes. Then add tofu and fry until lightly browned. Be cautious that you do not to break up tofu too much when moving it around the pan.
- Add the sauce and fold it in. Fry it until you’ve achieved desired consistency, the tofu will absorb the sauce so you can have it as wet or as dry as you like.
- Top with some black pepper, chopped chives, vegan cheese shreds and hot sauce, salsa or ketchup if desired. Serve alongside toast or a bagel.