I love baking cakes for any occasion I can find, but I’ve always thought store bought icing was terrible. Even if you’re a fan it’s often difficult to find vegan icing at the supermarket. It’s fortunate that making buttercream frosting is super easy, and only requires four ingredients. You can even make it in advance and freeze it for a couple of weeks. Fresh is always better, but if you like being prepared that’s a great option.
This recipe works great for any of your cake, cupcake, or cookie needs. It’s stable enough to perfectly pipe anything and everything. All you need to make our Best Vegan Buttercream is vegan powdered sugar, vegan butter, vanilla extract, sea salt, a mixing bowl, a sieve, and a hand (or stand) mixer. Funny, you probably already own most if not all of those things.
Best Vegan Buttercream
- 3 1/2 cups vegan powdered sugar
- 1 cup vegan butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Set your butter out for a few minutes before you get started, so that it can soften.
- In a large mixing bowl sift the powdered sugar to remove any clumps.
- In a separate mixing bowl beat butter on a low-medium setting on the mixer for about five minutes until it becomes almost white in color. It should still hold it’s shape relatively well.
- Slowly add in the powdered sugar a little at a time. Start mixing it with the mixer on the lowest setting.
- Once all of the sugar is incorporated add in your salt, and vanilla extract. Mix for another thirty seconds or so until it is well integrated.
- Add in any food coloring if you wish at this point.
- Use immediately, or store in an air tight container in the fridge or freezer.