With the temperatures outside rising as we head closer towards summer we’ve been on the search for lighter recipes than usual. After all, the freshness of in season fruits and vegetables can feel just as luxurious and decadent as the comfort food we seek during the fall and winter.
We worked on developing a great comfort food recipe that won’t weigh you down during a heatwave. After a lot of experimentation we came up with our Seitan Tacos with Grilled Pineapple recipe. The marinade is refreshing and light, and the grilled seitan has the vibe of a carnitas taco. Grilled pineapple, and a splash of lime add some fruity freshness to the mix.
These tacos pair well with a side of elote, grilled corn with herbed butter, or more tacos! As always, tacos go great with your favorite Mexican beer or soda. You can top your tacos with guacamole, and/or have it as a side. Make your own guac, or buy it at the store. Just make sure you check the label to make sure it’s vegan. Some guacamole can contain dairy products.
Seitan Tacos With Grilled Pineapple
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flake
- 8″ tortillas
- 16 oz seitan (2 packs of Upton’s Naturals)
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- butter lettuce
- vegan sour cream (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- additional lime juice for flavor (optional)
- Combine ingredients for the marinade in a bag, or container.
- Break the seitan down into chunks that are bite sized, but still large enough to skewer.
- Cut onion down into pieces that are large enough to skewer.
- You can either purchase pre-sliced pineapple, or cut down a whole pineapple. Either way cut the rings down into smaller chunks.
- Combine onion, pineapple, and seitan in the marinade. Refrigerate for at least one hour, or over night.
- Place onion and pineapple on skewers together. They will require less cook time than the seitan.
- Skewer the seitan pieces. The seitan pieces will take about 10-15 minutes on the grill.
- Put the onion and pineapple skewers on the grill when you are about halfway through cooking the seitan.
- Remove from heat, and remove from skewers.
- Assemble your tacos with the seitan-onion-pineapple mixture topped with some lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, and your favorite hot sauce. Finish it off with an additional splash of lime.