When I think of my favorite comfort foods both burgers and tacos come to mind. They’re usually a quick, easy dinner. They have that fatty delicious flavor of any good comfort food that feels like a warm hug. While they may be unhealthy in nature both foods allow you the option to load them up with a number of veggies of your choosing. So, maybe they’re not the healthiest option, but they can also be a great vessel to get in some extra servings of fruits and vegetables.
I’d like to thank whatever genius of a human being created the taco pizza for my inspiration on this one. The taco pizza informed me from a young age that you can make anything into a pizza if you use a little imagination. Then I thought: “Why not make everything into a taco?” I’ll admit this line of thinking is perhaps a bit more redundant and a little less possible than making all of our comfort foods into a pizza, but it did give me the epiphany to create the taco burger.
After creating the taco burger I did a quick google search that informed me the taco burger may be less original of an idea than I thought in the heat of the moment. Nevertheless, it was delicious, and I’d like to share our version of it with the world. I think perhaps my biggest takeaway from all of this, aside from reaffirming that their are few truly original ideas, is that maybe I should make more classic dishes into burgers.
This recipe melds the best elements of a burger with the flavors of a taco. It has the char from the grilled burger, the heat from the taco seasoning, the freshness from the salsa and sour cream, and the creamy fattiness of the avocado. We recommend serving it up with a side of vegan elote, and your favorite Mexican beer or soda.
Beyond Beef Taco Burger
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
Ingredients for Burger and Toppings
- vegan hamburger bun
- 1/4 lb beyond meat
- 1/2 small avocado (sliced)
- 1/4 cup butter lettuce
- 2 tbsp salsa
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2-4 rings of red onion (optional)
- 1 tsp Cholula or other hot sauce
- 1 lime (optional)
- In a small bowl mix together all Taco Seasoning ingredients.
- Form patties into desired size and shape, and rub with taco seasoning ingredients.
- If you’d like you can grill your avocado. Cut it in half, but keep the halves intact, and place on the grill.
- Slice down red onion into rings, and grill for a few minutes. You can also keep the red onion raw if you prefer.
- If you want to splash a little lime juice on your burger you can grill the lime now to enhance the flavor. Halve the lime before placing each side face down on the grill.
- Cook your burger patty for about 4 minutes on either side on the grill or in a skillet.
- Slice down your avocado, and prepare your bun. Spread sour cream on the bun and place lettuce, burger patty, red onion, avocado, and salsa down in that order.
- If desired, drizzle with a little Cholula or other hot sauce before serving, and add a splash of fresh lime juice.