I’ve always been a big fan of corn on the cob, especially when it’s fresh from local farms. It’s one of my favorite grilling sides, and it’s been in constant rotation on our home menu this spring and summer. I never thought corn on the cob could get any better until I had Elote. If you’re not familiar Elote are delicious grilled corn on the cob slathered in crema and cotija cheese. Does it get any better than that? I think it does when you make it plant-based and cruelty free!
While I can’t vouch for the authenticity as I’m not Mexican, nor have I ever had anyone teach me how to execute Mexican recipes authentically, I can vouch for the fact that it is delicious. You’ll want to make this recipe for every taco night, and every summer barbecue you have.
If you hate the taste of cilantro you can substitute parsley as a fresh herb.
- 6 ears of fresh corn on the cob
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo
- 3 tbsp vegan sour cream
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp vegan grated parmesan (optional)
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cilantro or parsley
- Combine vegan mayo, vegan sour cream, lime juice, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and finely chopped cilantro or parsley in a bowl. Stir until the crema is well integrated, cover, and store in the refrigerator. Let chill for at least an hour to allow for best flavor development.
- Shuck all ears of corn. Make sure the husk is removed completely. You’ll want the kernels to directly touch the surface of the grill.
- Mix a dash of chili power with some vegetable oil, and brush on the ears of corn.
- Grill corn for about ten minutes, or until it is cooked through and has developed defined grill lines on all sides. Remove from heat.
- To apply the crema to the corn you can either spread the crema out onto a plate to roll the ears of corn in, or spread it evenly over each ear with a basting brush. We prefer the basting brush method, because it usually ends with less crema being wasted.
- Sprinkle a little bit of vegan parmesan on top of each ear in lieu of cotija cheese.
- Serve hot, and enjoy!