I used to drink smoothies a lot. It’s a great way to make sure you’re getting enough servings of fruits and veggies in your diet. I had an Oster Blend-N-Go which was perfect for making smoothies for one, but isn’t the best for making multiple servings. A few months ago we purchased a semi-decent Hamilton Beach blender, and our smoothie making has increased a lot since then.
In a moment of ingenuity I invented this chocolate banana “milkshake” in an effort to use up a sample of Orgain plant based protein powder. It has since became a regular breakfast staple in our house.
This shake recipe is so decadent you won’t even realize that it’s actually kind of good for you. It makes a great breakfast, or dessert.
Healthy-ish Chocolate Shake
The coconut whipped cream is optional, but highly recommended.
- 1 cup of oat or other nondairy milk
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup frozen strawberries (optional)
- 2 tbsp creamy almond or other nut butter
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp orgain or other plant based protein powder (optional)
- Cut ripe bananas and strawberries into small chunks and freeze.
- Place frozen fruits in the blender
- Add in two tablespoons of almond butter, cocoa powder, and protein powder (if desired).
- Pour oat milk over top of the other ingredients.
- Blend on high until smooth. Add more milk while blending if necessary.
- Pour into glasses, and top with non dairy whipped cream, and/or fresh fruit.